When you think of Byron Bay you think of pristine natural beauty, beach culture and celebrities (hello Chris Hemsworth).
My favourite boutique here merges these elements with furniture, homewares and fashion that perfectly encapsulate the free spirit of Byron Bay.
WHERE IS BYRON BAY?
Tucked into the far north-east of New South Wales, Australia is the iconic seaside town of Byron Bay. Renowned for being Australia’s most easterly point, Byron Bay is nestled into the lush volcanic foothills of Mount Warning, where the first rays of early morning sun first touch the tip of Australia.
Sacred to indigenous cultures, it’s beautiful natural landscape and cultural heritage has given birth over the decades to an eclectic, free spirited, close knit community.
WHAT IS HOPE + MAY KNOWN FOR?
Hope + May is always at the top of my list of must-do’s when I’m in Byron.
The boutique is a dream to visit as well as to photograph, to enjoy the design qualities of the interior fitout. As you walk through the entrance, look down to see intricate dove grey mosaic style tiles beneath your feet. The interior features a soft white backdrop with cement rendered shelving - the essence of simplicity and the perfect foil to natural textures and neutral décor.
Besides being a haven of laid-back style, the boutique is also known for sourcing Fair Trade pieces and stocking their own in-house fashion label - Poppy & Co.
You can expect to find …
- Weathered, rustic, raw timber furniture in elm, teak and bamboo.
- Big and bold whitewashed pots and urns cradling massive cacti and tiny succulents.
- Natural linen fibres for sofas, cushions and napery.
- Simple but beautifully textured décor in colours like charcoal, nougat and taupe.
My favourite Hope + May looks
- Compagnie de Provence liquid hand wash (from France, bien sûr).
- Waffle bath towel sets in 100% cotton in colours like ‘sand’ and ‘fossil’.
- Highly textured, weathered wooden elm furniture - dining tables, round coffee tables, cabinets and chests of drawers.
- Natural hemp, knotted fisherman’s bags perfect for slinging over your shoulder on a beach trip.
Find a Hope + May store
Although I visited Hope + May in Byron Bay for this story, you can find two boutiques in Australia :
Hope + May | Flagship store
Shop 2, 20 Fletcher Street • Byron Bay • New South Wales • Australia
Hope + May | Sydney
Shop 3, 121 Curlewis Street • Bondi Beach • New South Wales • Australia
See you soon | À bientôt